Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Countdown to 2014

As this year comes to a close, I have thought about everything that has happened over this past year.  While there have been some not so good times, there have been so many great times.  Some of these times include learning what forgiveness truly means, meeting so many new faces or having to say "I'll see you later" to familiar ones, health issues with my kids, and just how interesting it can be raising five boys.  (Interesting may not be the correct word for that. ;))

This morning, as I was scrolling through Facebook, I noticed a friend had shared a picture that had a list of things to write down for the 2013 year.  I figured it would be fun to look back on this at the end of 2014, so here is my list. (I'm not going to do the entire list, because this post could go on for days. :P)

New Year's Challenge: 2013

10 things I did this year: 
~Learned that no matter how much you want someone to change their life for the better, you cannot force them to do so.  They have to take the steps themselves.
~Watched D power through non-stop sickness, two surgeries, and a diagnosis of asthma, all while coming out like a champ.  I love that little boy tremendously.
~Moved from one house to another, on the same base, just a street over.  This may not be big for some, but we came out of hermit status and have been surrounded with incredible neighbors.  Oh yeah... we also got out of a house full of mold.  Enough said. 
~Sent Carter to his last year of elementary school (heartbreak!), sent Aiden to 2nd grade (he's growing too fast) and sent Channing to his first day of Kindergarten (yes, I cried).  Still can't believe I have three in school. 
~Learned the true difference between a speech delay and a speech disorder.  Jaxon has had a year of struggle, but every day comes out stronger.  Pretty soon we start the IEP process for him and he may be the next in school.  What am I going to do with only one kid at home!?
~I've met some pretty amazing people this year.  That's one of the perks about military life.  New people always come into your life, and with any luck, you'll be able to be lifelong friends.  To the new people I've met this year... you know who you are.  I think you're all pretty darn fantastic. :)
~Watched my husband promote.  He worked his butt off for it, so it was well deserved.
~Found out who I am, spiritually.  For years, I knew what I believed in, but was afraid to come forward  for fear of ridicule.  This year changed that.  
~Went to my first Comic Con.  I absolutely loved it and it was worth the 2 1/2 hour wait. 
~I graduated from college!!! What felt like an eternity was finished in July.  Double BA in Psychology and Early Childhood Education.  3.99 GPA.  TOTALLY proud of myself.

My resolutions for this year:

~To help as many people as I can, whether it's through volunteering or simply through random acts of kindness.  
~Start my MSW in Military Studies.  My overall goal is to work with service members who have dealt with trauma or crisis and to help military families, spouses and children.

~To count every single one of my blessings, every day of the year.

What about you?  What are your plans for this year?  Do you have a hard time sticking to resolutions?

I hope you all have a fantastic New Year! Stay safe!




No comments:

Post a Comment