Driving downtown today, Carter asks me...
"Mommy, can old ladies have babies?"
I nearly got in a head-on collision. (Not really, but it totally could have happened)
"No, Carts, they can't."
"Why not?"
"Well, because, uh, mommy's have this thing."
"What type of thing Mom?"
"It's called a period and old ladies don't have that."
"What's a period?"
*chokes* "Uh...um... it's when a mommy bleeds a little once a month."
"Mommy's bleed?"
"Uh...um.....yeah. But it's not a bad thing. It just means you can have a baby. Old ladies can't have that."
"Oh... OK!"
Thank GOD that was the end of that conversation. How awkward. I was NOT (and still am not) ready to explain that to my son.
Then Carter proceeds to start this conversation...
"Hey Mom, did you know that boys marry girls and girls marry boys?"
"Yes, I did. Boys can also marry boys and girls can also marry girls." (I'm trying to raise my children tolerant of everyone... so I'm sorry if you don't agree with me telling him that)
"No way Mom."
"Yes, actually they can. It's all about who you love Carter."
"Wow. Well, I think Aiden is going to marry Tristan." *giggle, giggle*
Aiden: "NO I'M NOT!"
"Ok, you're not, but you're going to marry SKKKKYYYLLLLAAAARRRRR." (My friend's daughter)
Aiden: *giggle, giggle*
I was so glad when that converstion was done too! I just don't feel like I'm ready for the big talks yet.
For the mommy's that did have to have the "serious" talks, when did your kids start asking? What was the easiest way to talk about it, but not be too graphic?
My boys started asking early, but I quickly learned they really didn't need much information. I agonized over how much to say and it seemed, the less the better when they were so little.
ReplyDeleteI have four sons.. come on over and visit!
Hi there. I love your blog. I stumbled upon it through "moms bloggers club". Your son is such a cutie! I will continue to check back for updates and new posts :)
ReplyDeletehttp://reflectionsofanavywife.blogspot.com/
I love your blog and am now following!
ReplyDeleteI am new at this blogging thing and am in need of new followers, so please follow me as well. You can find me at:
http://mommyhoodnextright.blogspot.com
-Jessica a.k.a Nya's mom