Monday, December 7, 2009

Okinawa, Japan

Yes. You are reading that right. Okinawa, Japan. Sigh.

I haven't even begun to figure out what to say about this. We got orders there a few days ago, with a report no later than May 31st date.

I know I should be excited and I know that this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity... I keep hearing it from everyone... and not to be mean, but I really wish people would just stop saying that.

I don't want to sound like a drag about it, but I'm really not sure that many people understand what it feels like to get orders like that. It kinda hits you like a 18 wheeler slamming into a brick wall at 300 mph. This isn't just moving across the country to the East Coast (since we are West Coast). This is moving halfway around the world. My poor husband is trying to get me excited for it, and YES, there are SOME days that I'm excited (today being one*) but there are days that I just break down and sob. This friggin sucks.

*We got a crapload of snow today. Blah.

I have to move away from all that I have known for the past 6 years.

To a country that I don't know.

That is 16-18 hours AHEAD of all my family and friends.

That will cost 3 grand for anyone to come and visit.

My heart is very heavy with mixed emotions about this trip.

My children have to stop school when there is only a month left. They don't fully understand what is happening yet, but Carter has been very concerned about what we are going to do with our dog Kylie. He cried the other day when I said we were moving. He thought we were going to leave her here. NO WAY JOSE! We are bringing her! I need that dog too!

JAPAN. Ugh. Even saying it makes me want to throw up a little. However, I have been talking to a very nice lady that is stationed there (well her hubby is TECHNICALLY the one stationed there) and she has been making me feel so much better about it. She completely understands what I'm going through right now, and I think that's what I need. I need someone that has gone through this to talk to.

I just keep thinking... by the time we get back, my children will be 10, 9, and 6. (and possibly another little baby too!) My family and my husband's family will have missed out on so much. It just seems so unfair. But I could have it worse.

I keep showing myself this:


I AM looking forward to this. The nice, warm weather year round. So I'm going to continue to think about the "positives" and try to swallow this little by little.

I did find out that I can still do my online classes there still, so I think I'm going to try to bump it up to 2 classes (every 5 weeks) and get my degree sooner.

I am totally stoked because I also found this blog about Okinawa and it helps ease my fears.

I will continue to keep you updated. The outprocessing part is the longest part of this all, so once we get our medical clearance passed, we are outta here. (Well in April hehehe) So for now, have a great night and only 18 days until Christmas! Hope you're almost done!

4 comments:

  1. Oh man-when they say life is tough, they never prepare you for stuff like this! Sounds like you have a great family who is very supportive, which is awesome!


    The time will pass in a blink of an eye (or at least, that's how I see it now that I'm a mom-they keep you busy!)

    Hang in there momma-life is never easy, but it's never as bad when you have your family with you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one on Snips and Snails - it helps a lot!

    We clearly share similar parenting experiences and views.
    I've been reading one that I'm hooked on - http://todayscliche.com/.
    I have a feeling you'd get a lot out of it.

    Incredible job on your blog; keep it up.

    Thanks,
    keval

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be very scary for me! But very exciting at the same time...

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. You have a bunch of handsome men in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,

    I came across your blog via the Follow Me group at MBC. It can be pretty scary to move across the other side of the world - I was terrified and homesick when I moved from Australia to London to work, 24 hours by plane and 11 hours time difference. I gave myself two months and ended up staying 7 years! I believe that everything happens for a reason and you never know what opportunities it will open up. Plus what a great experience for your little ones to perhaps learn a new language and culture. Good luck, I'm now following...Nic

    ReplyDelete